Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Very Merry Un-Birthday to You

This past weekend I had the absolute pleasure of taking part in the Finger Lakes Tatting conference. It was fantastic! I met some of my tatting idols,and reconnected with some amazing women I met back in September in Cambridge. And as much as I want to tell you all about my weekend, tonight I want to share with you just scatter-brained I am when I am tired.

This morning I woke up after a restless night of tossing and turning and obsessing over the UFO's I have from Finger Lakes, looked at my phone and saw it was the 17th. I immediately thought of my younger sister and her big day. She turns 30 this year, and we all know what a hard day that can be. So I quickly busied myself making a special treat for her using the beading techniques I learned and some of the findings and fixings I treated myself to while on the, shall we say, more cost effective side of the border. I navigated my new bead spinner, dusted off my tatting needle (yup I can needle tat, though I much prefer shuttle unless working with beads) and made this little lovely for her.



It even has a lovely clasp with a dangle declaring its handmade goodness






Once I was pleased with the final product, I called her to wish her a happy birthday, and tell her to watch for a blog posy that would feature her gift......only instead of my hearty round of " Happy Happy Birthday" being met with the customary "thank- you" and "awwweee you remembered", my singing was interrupted by belly laughs.

Why laughs, you may ask. Well because although today most certainly was the 17th, it is only April. I was a whole month ahead of myself.

In any case, I promised some tatting in my next post, and there you have it. (and Andrea, if you are reading this, I hope you like your necklace. Too bad you have to wait a month to enjoy it)

Next time, more about Finger Lakes. Till then........

~ Let not the wind steal dignity ~

4 comments:

  1. he he he, I love it, both the pretty necklace and the un-birthday. sounds like something I would do, but not be confident enough to tell anyone. congrats. am excited to hear about Finger-Lakes. bet you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I had so much fun making the necklace, and my sister is my biggest fan when it comes to my tatting. Finger lLakes was fantastic! I'm still trying to figure out how to put the whole week-end into a couple paragraphs.

      Delete
  2. That's really funny. At least she knows you're thinking of her. I think the warm weather has everyone confused. It feels like May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather certainly has done a number on me, though I can't complain too much, my gas bill is much lower than usual, and that means more money for thread! My only complaint is that my Lilly of the Valley is in bloom, and that is what I have given my Mom every year for Mother's Day. Now I'll have to figure out something else.

      Delete